What makes this recipe so special to me
It’s hard to believe that exactly a year ago today, I was sitting in our apartment in Angers debating whether or not to publish my very first post – cranberry chicken salad, but it’s been an amazing and eventful year since then. I’ve traveled around France and Europe with my husband, made some really great new friends, cooked my heart out and saw my sister and a best friend get married.
I taught myself how to use a DSLR camera, WordPress and a lot of other technical stuff that goes along with blogging. Sure there have been some ups and downs, but I wouldn’t change anything. And, I’m looking forward to continuing this blog to share my favorite recipes and my latest adventures with you for years to come.
Thank you for your support!
I’m so grateful to the readers who have followed me from day one – especially my family and friends – and to my new readers who are just beginning to support me in my cooking endeavors. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I would love to know what you guys would like to see more of (or less of…) on Simply Whisked, because it’s your opinions that matter to me. And without you, I would be writing for no one.
To celebrate this big occasion, I thought nothing would be more appropriate than the exact birthday cake my mom used to make for us growing up – 1234 Cake with cream cheese frosting. It’s the perfect birthday cake, just sweet enough with – what I think is hands down the best frosting in the world – cream cheese frosting.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it
As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases at no added cost to you. Affiliate links will be noted as such, and I will never recommend a product that I don’t use or trust.
This recipe would be great served with
More delicious dairy free cakes
- Classic Vanilla Cupcakes
- Pistachio Cake
- One Layer Cake with Chocolate Buttercream
- Dairy Free Pound Cake
1234 Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 80 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
For the cake
- 1 cup dairy free butter (softened)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace (optional)
For the frosting
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup dairy free butter (softened)
- 5 – 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C) and grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, mace and baking powder together – set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vanilla and milk – set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs – one at a time and beat until incorporated.
- Alternate between adding some of the flour mixture and some of the milk mixture, beating on low until combined.
- Pour batter evenly into cake pans.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until cakes are golden and centers spring back when touched.
- Cool for 5 minutes and remove from pans.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat together the butter, cream cheese and vanilla.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar until completely incorporated.
- Spread frosting over the first layer of cake at a medium thickness.
- Place the second layer of cake on top of the frosting layer.
- Fill the space between the layer sides with frosting.
- Continue frosting the cake until completely covered.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 643
- Sugar: 82.5 g
- Sodium: 303.2 mg
- Fat: 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 111.1 g
- Fiber: 0.9 g
- Protein: 6.1 g
- Cholesterol: 62 mg
Last Updated on October 15, 2021 by Melissa Belanger