These 5 ingredient, dairy free biscuits are super easy to make, and they’re light and flaky. You won’t even be able to tell that the butter is missing. Makes 8 biscuits.
I stumbled upon this recipe while testing out shortcake recipes for another post. It started as a sweeter biscuit meant to be topped with seasonal fruit and loads of whipped cream, but I decided that it would be the perfect base for a quick, traditional biscuit, too. So I removed some sugar and the vanilla, and I came up with this super easy, 5 ingredient recipe for dairy free biscuits.
In place of the butter, I used butter flavored shortening. It’s my favorite swap for baking because I always have it on hand, but you could easily use dairy-free margarine, like Smart Balance, or even vegan butter, like Earth Balance.
Or butter, if you’re not doing the whole dairy free thing. Other than the butter, I just needed to swap the milk, so I used full fat, canned coconut milk, and it was a perfect substitute.
Of course, these aren’t quite as fluffy and light as your traditional, buttery biscuits. There’s just something about butter that you can’t quite replicate, but these dairy free biscuits pretty darn close.
What else can I do with these dairy free biscuits?
- Use them to top homemade peach cobbler or berry cobbler.
- Split them in half and make some blueberry shortcake.
- Top them with some sausage gravy for a southern style breakfast.
- Put them on top of chicken pot pie.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 6 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- All-purpose flour, for rolling
- Preheat oven to 450˚F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper .
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Cut in shortening until a small crumb has formed. Stir in coconut milk until a ball of dough is formed.
- Knead dough on a floured surface until no longer sticky. Roll to 1/2-inch thick, and use a circle cutter to cut biscuits.
- Transfer biscuits to prepared baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Last Updated on