Does anyone else feel like the holidays have just about ruined everything? I’ve completely gotten off track with my diet – I’m currently devouring the second Jelly Belly bag I found in my stocking – and I seem to have forgotten all of my time management skills. It’s terrible. On top of that, I’m sure that all of this junk I’ve been consuming isn’t helping my mind focus on anything. It’s time for a serious detox. That means no more junk food (she said as she threw back a handful of jelly beans).
This turkey sausage and chickpea soup should help get us on track without sacrificing taste. I made it with turkey sausage and chickpeas, because chickpeas are the best. They are seriously so good. Then I threw in just about every vegetable I had in my fridge and some extra tomatoes just for fun. It’s definitely a one-bowl meal, and it’s so very filling. You’re going to love it.
Now, go get to the kitchen and make some soup before you eat another anymore candy or cookies. You can thank me later. As for me, I’ll be running around the house attempting to clean even with my foggy mind.
- 1 1/4 pounds (5 links) Italian turkey sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 5 – 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 14.5-ounce cans, reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 28-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leave
- 1 1/4 cups ditalini (or other small pasta)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 – 8 cups fresh spinach leaves
- Remove sausage casings.
- In a large stockpot or dutch oven , heat olive oil to medium-high. Add the onion, carrot and celery. Sauté until slightly translucent, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sausage meat, and continue to cook, breaking up the meat into pieces, until no longer pink.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until pasta is fully cooked.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg