Thank you Village Harvest for sponsoring this recipe for summer quinoa salad. Every day Village Harvest is planting seeds of change and growing possibilities, one bag of goodness at a time.
Nothing makes a salad better than a fresh herb vinaigrette, and this salad is no different. This summer quinoa salad is refreshing and filling, and it’s loaded with antioxidants and protein, thanks to Village Harvest’s Organic Benefit Blend varieties. It’s a distinctive combination of healthful goodness with it black rice, black lentils and black quinoa.
I love making salads that serve a blend of nutrients – hence my usual love of chickpea salads – and this blend makes it so easy to incorporate these ingredients. They also have an Organic Ancient Grain Blend, and a Organic Protein Blend. I’m thinking of making a sweet, rice pudding with the ancient grain blend next.
To make this summer quinoa salad, I prepared the quinoa blend according to the package directions, and then I let it cool while I prepped the other ingredients. I chopped cucumber, bell pepper, mandarin oranges and green onions. Then I made a quick vinaigrette with fresh basil. I you have different fresh herbs, feel free to use them instead. I think mint or cilantro would be a really great replacement.
Then I added a bit of crunch with some toasted almonds. I originally wanted to use walnuts, but I burnt them when I was toasting them on the stove. I guess that’s what happens when you get distracted by a two year old. Don’t be like me, but either nut will work. The almond ended up working out really well, especially since my husband isn’t a big fan of walnuts.
Beyond creating wholesome rice products, Village Harvest defines social sustainability to not only mean caring for our planet, but also the workers that help to bring whole, healthy grains to your door. Village Harvest has pledged 1% of their profits to run programs that give back to the farmers and local communities from which they source their products. And, Village Harvest has pledged to donate 1% of their employees’ time to charitable causes and sustainability efforts. It makes me happy to know there are still companies out there that care about our world.
Summer Quinoa Salad with Herb Citrus Vinaigrette
For the salad:
- 1 1/2 cups Village Harvest Organic Antioxidant Blend
- 1 English cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can mandarin oranges, drained, sliced halved
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup diced almonds or walnuts, toasted
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Prepare antioxidant blend according to package directions. Remove from heat and allow cooked quinoa blend to come to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine salad ingredients.
- In a separate bow, whisk together dressing ingredients. Pour into salad bowl and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.