With just a few sprinkles and some googly eyes, simple olive oil brownies are transformed into spooky, dairy-free Halloween brownies that every kid can enjoy.
For the past few weeks (okay, maybe months), Ellie has been talking about Halloween. She has already decided that she’s going to be a bat-witch and she hasn’t, not for one second, waffled on her decision. It’s crazy, but since I love Halloween just as much, I’m pretty excited that she’s into it. Today, I even took her to look at Halloween decorations for maybe the fifth time so far this year. She’s really into the talking witches that are outrageously expensive.
Since she’s loving Halloween so much, I thought it might be nice to start testing out a few Halloween-themed treats, like these spooky eyed Halloween brownies, so that I know exactly what to make when the holiday comes. We already have a few Halloween related food traditions that I’m carrying over from my own childhood, like apple crisp and Halloween soup. I even made some pretty awesome apple cider margaritas last year (for the adults, obviously).
These Halloween brownies are completely dairy free, and based on my regular olive oil brownie recipe, but I jazzed them up with some Halloween sprinkles and googly eyes that I found at my grocery store. I did add the purple sprinkles to the pre-made mix I bought just to give the sprinkles a bit more variety, since I didn’t find exactly what I was imagining.
The sprinkles are added just before baking, as you would on a cookie, but after doing extensive online research (a.k.a. googling it for a few minutes), it seemed pretty unanimous that the googly eyes shouldn’t get baked. So, I added them after. A few other recipes called for pressing the eyes in immediately after baking, but since they didn’t seem like they would attach themselves to the top of these brownies, I used a piping gel I had on hand as glue to attach the eyes.
By the way, this is the decorating tip I mentioned in last week’s Facebook LIVE, and I’m so excited to finally be sharing it with you. If you haven’t had a chance to like my Facebook page, go do it now, so you don’t miss any more of my weekly live videos. This week, I’ll be showing you how to make my pumpkin rigatoni, so you don’t want to miss it.
Spooky Eyed Halloween Brownies
Yield 24 brownies
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips*
- Halloween colored sprinkles
- Candy googly eyes
- Piping gel, preferably a darker color
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk 1/3 cup olive oil and boiling water into cocoa powder mixture until smooth.
- Add sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and remaining 1/3 cup olive oil. Whisk until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in flour until smooth.
- Fold in chocolate chips with a rubber spatula.
- Pour batter into pan and top with sprinkles. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 30 minutes before decorating with googly eyes. Use piping gel to secure and let gel dry completely before slicing brownies.