Last week, I shared my Salted Caramel Sauce recipe with you. This week, I’m showing you what you can do with it – with a Salted Caramel Apple Crisp. This recipe is actually an adaptation of my favorite apple crisp – my mom’s. One that she made every year on Halloween – along with some Vegetable Beef Barley Soup to warm us up after trick-or-treaking.
Salted Caramel Apple Crisp
- 8 cups peeled, cored and sliced apples
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
For the topping:
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 12 tablespoons butter (1 1/2 sticks), not-quite room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 recipe salted caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Grease a large (9x13 inch) baking dish.
- Place apples in a large mixing bowl.
- Add lemon juice.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar with cinnamon and cloves - pour over apples and stir until evenly coated.
- Pour apple mixture into baking dish.
- For the topping:
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt with butter to make crumbs.
- Crumble evenly over apples.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Drizzle salted caramel sauce oven apple crisp before serving.