Have you ever cooked with fennel before? If not, this roasted pork loin with fennel & apples is the perfect recipe to try. It’s so easy.
You guys. I went a little crazy with fennel last month. I make a gazillon recipes with three bulbs that I bought, and now I’m finally going to tell you about them. I suppose we should just call this Simply Whisked’s unofficial fennel week, because both of this weeks recipes feature fennel. So I hope you like fennel. If not, I get it. It’s totally one of those things that you either love or hate (sort of like cilantro, and we all know I love that, too).
This recipe is super easy. You just slice up some fennel, onions and apples and throw them in a pan. Then you smear a super flavorful garlic-herb paste all over a pork loin and pop it into the oven. That it. What you end up with is nothing short of amazing. The zip of the apples pairs to well with the licorice flavor of the fennel. But, then the pop of garlic and herb gets you and it’s like “woah”. You are going to love it.
I just love how versatile pork is. I like to serve this with a heap of garlic mashed potatoes and my favorite arugula salad, but make any side dishes you want. It can seriously go with anything.
Roast Pork Loin with Fennel & Apples
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 pound pork loin
- 1 apple, cored and sliced
- 2 fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 2 - 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- In a small bowl, mix together olive oil, sage, garlic, lemon zest, salt & pepper to form a paste.
- Rub paste onto pork loin to evenly coat.
- Place fennel, onion, apple and lemon juice a large baking dish or dutch oven. Stir to combine. Season liberally with salt & pepper.
- Place pork loin on top of mixture and bake for 1 hour 30 minutes - 1 hour 45 minutes or until pork has reached an internal temperature of 145˚F.
Want to know more about fennel?
14 Days to Dairy Free
Join the 2 week challenge where you'll learn everything you need to change your diet and your life.
Starting in 2018, you'll get a new lesson each day with actionable steps to help you reach your dairy free goals.