There’s only two weeks left till the Gilmore Girls revival debuts on Netflix, and things are getting crazy on the internet. People are literally hypothesizing and analyzing every little detail they could find to get a hint as to what the girls will be up to these days. I mean, people have literally been going nuts over a picture with an apple in it. Personally, I don’t like spoilers, so I try not to read anything, but the trailer got pretty excited.
This week’s Friday Night Dinner recipe is apple tarts. You know the apple tarts I’m talking about. The ones served by the Gilmores at their annual Christmas party – the one that takes place weeks before Christmas that Lorelai isn’t invited to. Apparently, they’re amazing.
Of course, there are so many ways to make apple tarts, so I decided to fancy up a super simple one with a maple bourbon glaze. I mean, the Gilmore’s done serve anything but fancy food – except for maybe Johnny Machete, but that’s for another time.
I made these apple tarts with frozen puff pastry, because no one really wants to make puff pastry, and Cortland apples that we picked a few weeks ago with this recipe in mind. After thinly slicing them, I layered them on the puff pastry and sprinkled then with brown sugar. Then, I melted some apple jelly with a little bourbon and maple syrup to use as a glaze. After brushing that onto the apples, I baked the tarts for about 30 minutes.
Quick tip: use a pizza cutter to slice the tarts into individual servings. I cut the first tart I made into 6 pieces, but the pieces of the second tart, I made a little bit smaller and got 8 pieces. It’s up to you.
Also, you can peel the apples if you want to, but I didn’t want to spend them time doing it. I was initially going to use my mom’s apple peeler corer slicer, but it was missing a piece. I don’t even have an apple corer, so I had to improvise. I think the color of the apple skins make the tarts extra pretty, but it’s totally ok to get rid of them.
- 6 apples, cored and sliced very thinly
- 2 frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 6 tablespoons sugar dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup apple jelly
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Cinnamon, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Line apple slices up in three rows on puff pastry sheets.
- Sprinkle each tart with 3 tablespoons of brown sugar.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt apple jelly and maple syrup. Whisk bourbon and cornstarch together until smooth and add to pan. Bring to a simmer and whisk until smooth. Using a pastry brush, spread over apple tarts.
- Bake each tart for 25 - 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5 - 10 minutes before slicing.