Topped with a tangy, creamy burger sauce and fresh fixings on a whole wheat bun, these diner cheeseburgers are inspired by Gilmore Girls and Luke’s Diner.
So it’s been two weeks since the Gilmore Girls revival premiere on Netflix. We made a huge deal of it. We had Luke’s Diner cheeseburgers for dinner with fries (with a salt & pepper dip!), and then we had popcorn, leftover Halloween candy and Miss Patty’s Founder’s Day Punch while we watched the first two episodes. And, it was amazing. I tried so hard to watch the third episode, but I literally couldn’t keep my eyes open.
Saturday night came, and I couldn’t help but finish watching without Marc. I finished the whole season before he got back from his out-of-town hockey game, and he STILL hasn’t seen the ending. I’m waiting till I finish watching the original series to re-watch the new ones. So he has to wait until then, but I was so dying to tell him what happened. It literally blew my mind. I still can’t really digest it all. I think Ashleigh and I spent the next two days chatting about what happened, and I spent an entire hour talking about it with my sister when I saw her next. So if you haven’t watched it yet, you’re going to have to go do it right now. At least finish it by the next time I do so we can talk about it, okay?
Anyway, I’ve made these burgers several times now. I did a bit of internet research about what makes really good diner cheeseburgers, but I didn’t really find one specific answer. So I decided to go with what I like best. Classic burger sauce and loads of caramelized onions. You could add other toppings if you want, but I went with cheddar, lettuce, tomatoes and pickles. I think bacon would make these over-the-top good, but the girls never really did the whole bacon cheeseburger thing, so I skipped it.
The recipe makes enough burger sauce for at least 8 burgers, but I only made 6 patties so you’ll probably have extra sauce. That’s not a bad thing though, right? We used some of the extra on our fries, and it was great. You could even make double the amount of burgers and still be ok. It’s up to you.
Luke's Diner Cheeseburgers
Yield 6 burgers
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup dill pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoonWorcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck (8020)
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Cheddar cheese slices
- 1 large sweet onion, caramelized
- 2 roma tomatoes, sliced
- Pickle slices
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns
- In a bowl, whisk together sauce ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, mix together burger ingredients until incorporated. Form into 6 1/4-pound patties, about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick.
- Preheat a skillet or griddle to medium-high heat. Cook patties for 3 - 5 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Melt cheese onto burgers with about 1 minute before fully cooked.
- To assemble, top each bottom bun with burger sauce, pickle, tomato, lettuce, a burger, onions and additional burger sauce.