Did you know that the Muppets Most Wanted is coming out on DVD on August 12th? You officially can buy it for yourselves on Blu-ray Combo Pack and Digital HD on Disney.com. To celebrate this fun movie, I decided to make some green popcorn – in honor of the most famous muppet, Kermit the Frog.
You know those popcorn balls that are all crazy colors and stuff? Well, this candied popcorn is just like that – only way easier to eat because it’s not one huge ball that you have to chomp into. Instead, I’ve broken up the pieces and created a great snack food. It’s fun to make and fun for the whole family to eat while watching the Muppets Most Wanted.
In order to make this popcorn, you’ll need to pop some popcorn first – about 14 cups. I popped mine on the stove because it’s my favorite way to make popcorn, but you could totally buy a big bag of already popped popcorn from your grocery store if you want to skip a step. Just don’t get butter or any other flavor because it’ll change the flavors of the final product.
Once you’ve got your popcorn ready to go, you simply melt together the candy coating – butter, light corn syrup, sugar, cream of tartar and salt – in a large saucepan and heat until it starts to boil. You can use a candy thermometer – cook until halfway between firm ball and soft crack stage – if you want, but you don’t have to. Just cook it over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Then you’ll add the food coloring and the baking powder and remove the pot from heat and stir until the color is even throughout.
Now, you’ll want to toss the popcorn with the candy coating. I did this in batches in a large stainless steel bowl, but really any bowl will work – or you can do it directly on the cookie sheets. After the popcorn is coated, divide it between 2 cookies sheets (preferably lined with parchment paper). Then bake at 200˚F for 30 – 45 minutes. I stirred mine popcorn every about halfway through and added nonpareils sprinkles to give the popcorn an extra pop of color.
Let the popcorn cool completely before breaking the kernels into bite-sized pieces.
Kermit's Green Candied Popcorn
Yield 14 cups
- 14 cups
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 - 4 drops green gel food coloring
- Nonpareils or other sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 200˚F (95˚C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter with sugar and corn syrup. Whisk in cream of tartar and salt until smooth. Bring to a low boil and heat for about 5 minutes (a candy thermometer should read between firm ball and soft crack stage).
- Remove from heat and baking soda and green food coloring. Whisk until color is uniform.
- In a large bowl, toss popcorn with candy coating. Transfer popcorn to baking sheets.
- Bake for 40 - 50 minutes or until candy coating is has hardened, adding sprinkles about halfway through if desired. Allow popcorn to cool before breaking into bite-sized pieces.