I suppose I should just warn you now. I’m on a mission to create as many kale salad variations as possible. Right now, my goal is ten, but I’m sure the possibilities are endless. So far we have the kale mango salad, this kale chicken caesar salad, and I’m working on an Asian-ramen style one this afternoon. I also have a BLT one up my sleeve, just waiting to be photographed. Oh, and I have a recipe for one with pecans, apples and cranberries. They’re all so good.
Why am I on such a kick, you ask? Well, kale salads are amazing. They hold up really well. They won’t wilt overnight, which makes them perfect for lunches and make-ahead salads. Plus, did you know that kale has more vitamin C than an orange? And, more calcium than milk? Yep. It does. So, now I’m on a mission to cut lettuce out of my life and replace it with kale at every possible opportunity.
For this particular salad, I massaged the kale, which is key to making a successful kale salad, and I used my favorite caesar vinaigrette. After that it’s just a matter of chicken, cheese and croutons. Since the vinaigrette has no cream in it, you can leave out the cheese if you want to make this dairy free. It’s still a perfectly good salad without the cheese. I promise.
What’s your favorite way to eat kale? Have you tried substituting it for lettuce in salad recipes? If so, let me know if the comments. Maybe I’ll even make your recipe for the blog!
Kale Chicken Caesar Salad
- 1 large bunch kale, stems removed and leaves roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cooked chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large handful croutons
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 recipe caesar vinaigrette
- In a large bowl, combine kale, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and ¼ teaspoon salt. Massage the kale until it begins to wilt and a darker color develops.
- Add chicken, cheese, croutons and caesar vinaigrette. Toss to combine.