These dairy free vanilla cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting are a classic birthday treat complete with rainbow sprinkles. Just add candles and wish away.
Today is a big day here at Simply Whisked. We’re celebrating my 5th blog anniversary with these dairy free vanilla cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting. 5 years, people. That’s a long time. Back then we were living in France. I had just finished my bachelor’s degree and I couldn’t find an English speaking job. I had been sitting at our table debating blog names and website addresses. I eventually settled on one and published my very first recipe. Since then, I’ve moved 4 times, given up dairy (mostly), had a baby, bought a house, and published 386 more recipes (including this one).
Not only are we celebrating a big day in my blogging life, we have another big reason to celebrate. We’re having another baby! We’ve been keeping it a secret for a long time now – only in the internet world, our family and friends have known for a while – but Ellie’s little brother is due to arrive on October 31st.
Getting back to the cupcakes, I’ve been working on a few basic, dairy-free recipes so I have some solid go-to recipes for events like birthdays and holidays. I’ve already nailed down basic pancakes and a few other recipes, so I decided to try my hand at more indulgent recipes since I’m letting myself have a few extra calories anyway. These turned out exactly as I wanted them to.
As for the frosting, I only made enough to frost the cupcakes like a normal person. I know piping swirls and peeks is a lot prettier in pictures, but I just wasn’t feeling it this time. So I frosted them with a spatula and mixed up some rainbow sprinkles and nonpareils for a festive birthday look. If you want to make them a little fancier, you’ll probably want to double the frosting, or at least make a half portion more.
Dairy Free Vanilla Cupcakes
Yield 24 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups butter-flavored shortening (or butter, room temperature)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond milk (or milk)
For the frosting:
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening (or butter, room temperature)
- 4 - 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Rainbow sprinkles, optional
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and line a 24-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream shortening and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated.
- Add flour mixture in 4 installments, beating until incorporated and scraping sides of bowl as needed.
- Add milk and beat until smooth.
- Fill cupcake liners with about 3 tablespoons batter each, or until 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow cupcakes to rest for at least 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
For the frosting:
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat together frosting ingredients until smooth.
- Frost completely cooled cupcakes with a spatula or spoon. Top with sprinkles immediately after frosting each cupcake.
14 Days to Dairy Free
Join the 2 week challenge where you'll learn everything you need to change your diet and your life.
Starting in 2018, you'll get a new lesson each day with actionable steps to help you reach your dairy free goals.