This dairy free BLT pasta salad features elbow macaroni, fresh tomatoes, crispy lettuce and savory bacon tossed in a creamy, flavorful dressing. It’ll be the best summer side dish at your next barbecue or potluck.
Bacon, lettuce tomato sandwiches are such a classic American dish, but, if I have to be honest, I’m really not a fan. BLT-inspired recipes, on the other hand, are my jam. I love them. My friend makes an awesome BLT dip that I absolutely love, and I love a good BLT pasta salad.
Unfortunately, so many of these recipes call for sour cream or cheese. Not so fun when you’re living dairy free. Luckily, there’s vegan sour cream. It’s such an easy swap, and I use it in so many things. My favorite right now is Tofutti’s Better Than Sour Cream because I think it tastes the most similar to the real thing. I use it in my dairy free ranch dressing and the sauce for my favorite salmon recipe.
My other favorite macaroni salad has a mayonnaise and pickle juice based dressing, but I wanted this one to have a lot of flavor because I find that BLT ingredients need a little extra help sometimes. So besides the mayonnaise and sour cream base, I added white wine vinegar, parsley, garlic and salt & pepper. It’s actually a really great dressing, all on it’s own. But, if you throw the bacon, fresh tomatoes and crispy lettuce in there, you have a killer salad. The extra carbs don’t hurt either.
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon canola oil mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the salad:
- 1 16-ounce package elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups quartered grape tomatoes
- 1 2.5-ounce package crumbled bacon pieces
- 1 1/2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions for al dente in a large pot of boiling salted water. When cooked, drain and rinse with cold water until cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Add salad ingredients and stir to coat evenly. Serve immediately
- If you’re making this salad ahead of time, leave out the lettuce until just before serving. If salad seems dry when serving, add a tablespoon or two extra mayonnaise or vegan sour cream and stir to combine.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Recipe adapted from She Wears Many Hats.