It’s another Friday Night Dinner, and this week, we’re serving creamy zucchini basil soup. This recipe is my take on Sookie’s critically acclaimed zucchini soup, that was so important the accidentally ended up sleeping in the zucchini patch. It’s one of my favorite episodes.
creamy zucchini basil soup
Why are we serving zucchini basil soup tonight? Because it’s absolutely freezing outside. Just kidding, it was absolutely freezing yesterday. It’s at least 5 degrees warmer today, and the thermometer is currently reading a whopping -2 degrees Fahrenheit.
Yes. That is the beauty of a Wisconsin winter. Your nose hairs freeze when you breath outside, and you can’t help but cough because their air is so dry. I can’t help but love it. Luckily, I have developed quite a tolerance to it, especially after spending three months just outside the Siberian border.
Even if it’s not that cold where you are, you’ll still love this soup. It’s creamy, flavorful and beyond easy to make. Just watch, and you’ll see.
Creamy Zucchini Basil Soup
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 - 4 zucchini, chopped
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup lactose free half-and-half (or coconut cream)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat onions and olive oil to medium-high. Add salt, and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally - about 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and continue to cook until softened - about 5 minutes. Add chicken broth, cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
- Add half-and-half and basil. Puree soup with an immersion blender, or transfer to a blender/food processor to puree in batches. Adjust seasoning with salt & pepper, if desired.
14 Days to Dairy Free
Join the 2 week challenge where you'll learn everything you need to change your diet and your life.
Starting in 2018, you'll get a new lesson each day with actionable steps to help you reach your dairy free goals.