This recipe for cheddar chive waffles and fried eggs with strawberry candied bacon is perfect for Mother’s Day brunch or a fancy weekend breakfast. Sponsored by Bonne Maman via Honest Cooking. #SayItWithHomemade #BonneMaman
Normally, our go-to weekend breakfast is pancakes. Ellie loves to request them, and they’re super easy to make, so we got ourselves into a major breakfast rut. But, last week, I was craving something a little different – something a little fancier. I had been meaning to try a savory waffle recipes forever, and I finally got around to it.
Of course, every good breakfast is well rounded with something savory and sweet. That’s why sausage is a great accompaniment for French toast, and it’s why you want to order at least two things from the menu whenever you go out to brunch (or is that just me?).
So I thought it might be nice to add a bit of sweetness in the way of candied bacon – strawberry candied bacon to be exact. I candied the bacon in the oven with some Bonne Maman preserves and just a bit to brown sugar, and it was the perfect match for my cheddar chive waffles and eggs.
This recipe is perfect for Mother’s Day brunch, or for any weekend that you’re feeling extra indulgent. Just don’t forget a good strong cup of coffee, and maybe even a mimosa. Either way, you’re in for a treat.
Cheddar Chive Waffles and Eggs with Strawberry Candied Bacon
For the candied bacon:
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 3 - 4 tablespoons strawberry preserves
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
For the waffles:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
For the eggs:
- 4 large eggs
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Place bacon on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil. Brush preserves onto bacon and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until crispy. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving (blot any excess grease with paper towel).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, milk, vegetable oil, 2 eggs, chives, and cheddar cheese.
- Prepare waffles according to waffle maker directions.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil (or melt butter) over medium heat. Crack eggs in a separate bowl and pour into pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and let eggs cook until whites have set. Remove from pan.
14 Days to Dairy Free
Join the 2 week challenge where you'll learn everything you need to change your diet and your life.
Starting in 2018, you'll get a new lesson each day with actionable steps to help you reach your dairy free goals.