I am completely exhausted. I have spent the last few days painting around the clock on only the second room of our house. I don’t know why I thought it would be a good idea to paint all of our trim white, but I was nuts. At least I like the outcome I guess, but it sure it going to take a long time to actually finish the house.
I also finally put back the final drawers in our kitchen cabinets today, which means that our cabinets are finally done. What a job that has been. I’m so excited they are finished. I love them, and I’ll show you them someday. I promise. Once we get to the backsplash. Until then we’ve got some exposed outlets and lovely splotches all along the walls, which I why I decided to move on to the dining room in the first place.
Anyway, on days like these – and actually most days – chili is my favorite. It’s a great, hearty go-to meal that can be ready pretty quickly. And the wonderful people at OXO sent me some new gadgets that made whipping up this buffalo chicken chili (my newest chili creation) even faster. They sent me a Vegetable Chopper with Easy-Pour Opening, a Ground Meat Chopper and Turner and an awesome Silicone Ladle, and I can’t decide which one I like most.
Let me start off by saying, I already had a ladle and a vegetable chopper, so I didn’t these would be much different, but they are. Let me tell you. The vegetable chopper is a hundred times easier to clean than my old one and the blades are nice and sharp. And, the ladle. I don’t think I could like a ladle more. It’s made of silicone, which is great for heat and all, but its even better because it acts a spatula, allowing me to get all those teeny-tiny little bits out of the pan. I love it. As for the meat chopper, I couldn’t be happier with it. I have wanted one forever, but I’ve honestly just been too lazy to go buy one. Having it has been so great. It makes the mundane task of breaking up the meat so much faster. If you don’t have one yet, you must get one.
So thank you, OXO, for making my life so much easier. As for the chili, I made this one for Superbowl Sunday, and it was perfect. I got it ready before the game and just let it simmer until we were ready to eat at half-time. The buffalo flavor wasn’t too spicy, but you can definitely add more to taste, and the ground chicken makes it so healthy. We absolutely loved it, and I can’t wait to make it again.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 2 14.5-ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 15-ounce cans great northern beans (or navy beans)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce
- In a large stockpot or dutch oven, heat olive oil to medium-high. Add the bell pepper, onion, celery and garlic. Sauté until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground chicken. Breaking up the meat as chicken browns, cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, beans, chili powder, cumin, bay leaf and salt & pepper. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover and allow chili to cook for at least 15 minutes.
- Before serving, remove bay leaf and add buffalo wing sauce to taste.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg