Dairy free mashed potatoes don’t have to be boring or bland. With a perfect balance of dairy free milks and vegan buttery spread, these garlicky dairy free mashed potatoes are sure to please every guest at your table.
How do we make the best dairy free mashed potatoes?
There are so many things I do differently when making mashed potatoes now. I used to peel my potatoes and chopped the garlic, but I’ve found a few cheats that make mashed potatoes easier than ever, which is essential in my life now. Since cooking dairy free already requires so many extra steps, I try to take any shortcuts available to me. I start by using pre-washed potatoes, like these. I don’t bother chopping the garlic anymore either, the cloves boil down enough that they mash nicely with the potatoes.
Then it’s just a matter of substituting the dairy-based ingredients for plant-based ones.
Can you use unsweetened almond milk in mashed potatoes?
The answer is yes, but your dairy free mashed potatoes will be even better – and creamier – if you use a combination of almond (or nut milk) and creamy full-fat coconut milk. It’s a great way to get that extra decadent sour cream style mashed potato texture.
Can you substitute oil for butter in mashed potatoes?
Another yes, but you’ll probably miss out on a little flavor. I opt for vegan buttery spread or vegan butter. This is my go-to choice when I’m substituting butter that is added after cooking.
Mashed potato making essentials:Print
- 3 pounds baby potatoes, washed
- 6 large garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 6 tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Place potatoes and garlic cloves in a large saucepan or stockpot and cover completely with water. Bring to a boil.
- Cook until potatoes are tender and break easily with a fork. Remove from heat, drain and return to pot.
- Add milks and buttery spread. Mash with a potato masher or mix with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Adjust seasoning with salt & pepper to taste and top with chives before serving.