This warm and comforting apple rosemary chicken and dumplings is the perfect meal to make for a cozy Sunday evening this fall.
Happy first day of September! It’s a beautiful fall day here, and I’ve been celebrating all day. This morning I actually put on a sweater and drove to my doctor appointment with the windows down and cinnamon coffee in had. Now, I’m sharing one of my favorite fall recipes – apple rosemary chicken and dumplings. It’s warm, comforting and laced with autumn flavors. I know you’ve been craving fall, too, so you’re welcome.
This recipe is everything I remember of dumplings from when I was a kid, but with a grown up addition of sweetness and herbaceous rosemary. This pimped out soup is topped with fluffy, moist dumplings that plump as they simmer away in the heat of the Dutch oven. Dumplings are always the best part of chicken and dumplings, right?
I made the recipe dairy free by swapping full-fat coconut milk for what would normally be heavy cream, but I had to tweak the liquid/dry ingredient ratio to make it just right. Even if you aren’t staying away from dairy, I’d encourage you to stick with the coconut milk when making this recipe, so you don’t end up with dumplings that are too dry or too mushy. That would totally ruin your day.
You could potentially speed things up a bit using cut up rotisserie chicken meat, but this meal is definitely a cozy Sunday evening meal. Maybe the perfect meal after an afternoon spent raking leaves, because – let’s face it – after the novelty of scarves and pumpkin spice lattes wears off, raking leaves is going to suck. But, at least you’ll have something to look forward to after.
What you’ll need to make apple rosemary chicken and dumplings:
Apple Rosemary Chicken and Dumplings
Yield 6 servings
For the soup:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup water (optional)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Black pepper, to taste
For the dumplings:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 - 1 tablespoon water
- Whisk together dry dumpling ingredients. Add coconut milk, stir to combine.
- In a Dutch oven or large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil to medium-high. Brown chicken until it easily releases from pan, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining oil, onion, celery and carrot. Add a pinch of salt and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently to release brown bits from pan.
- Return chicken to pan. Add apple juice, chicken broth, water, rosemary and salt & pepper. Cover pot and cook for 15 minutes. Remove and shred chicken. (Reduce heat to low to prevent liquid loss).
- Return chicken to pot and drop dumpling mixture in 2 tablespoon scoops. Increase heat to medium, cover and cook for another 15 minutes or until dumplings are cooked.