Do you remember the marmalade mustard pork chops I shared last week (or maybe the week before)? Well I liked them so much, I decided to create a second rendition of them with a different fruit. This time it’s apple and I only used 5 ingredients this time – pork chops, apple butter, apple cider, whole grain mustard and onions. Lots of deliciously caramelized onions. Now I’m not sure which recipe I like better, but it might be this one.
I used an unsweetened apple butter that I had in the fridge – I almost always choose unsweetened options when I can – and I think it had the perfect amount of sweetness for this recipe. But, the best part about using the apple butter is the tiny hint of cinnamon it has. It’s barely noticeable, but it makes such a huge difference. If you use and apple butter or unsweetened apple sauce that doesn’t have any cinnamon, try adding about 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon to your sauce mixture.
So really all you have to do is cook the pork chops, sauté the onions and then throw in the sauce that you’ve already mixed in a bowl. And, you’re done. So simple. We had ours with an arugula salad, but you can obviously serve it with whatever you want. I really think those onions would go well with some mashed potatoes, but really anything will work.
- 4 boneless pork chops
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple butter
- 1/2 cup apple cider or juice
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- Salt & pepper
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook pork chops until browned, about 3 – 4 minutes per side.
- While pork chops are cooking, whisk together apple butter, apple cider, mustard and 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional) in a small bowl.
- Remove chops from pan and transfer to a plate. Tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add onions and a pinch of salt to pan. Sauté onions until translucent, stirring occasionally and scraping brown bits from pan, about 5 minutes.
- Add apple butter mixture to pan and stir to coat onions.
- Return chops to pan and continue cooking until sauce is heated through.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg