Have you ever had one of those times when things just seem to work out the way you want them to? Well, for me, this was one of those times. Looking for a much needed change of pace, led me to buy some cod. I thought it would be something easy I could pop in the oven on a night that I wasn’t testing a recipe. I was thinking some lemon, parsley and a little olive oil. You know, normal fish stuff. But when we were cleaning out the fridge/putting the groceries away later, we discovered an unbelievable amount of cilantro (on top of the cilantro I had just picked up).
The next night when I was getting out those boring fish ingredients, a thought popped into my head out of nowhere. Could I figure out a way to use cilantro in this?
Well my friends, my answer to that question is always yes. I can figure out a way to use cilantro in anything. After a little brainstorming, I had a simple, 5-ingredient dish that requires only 10 minutes of active time – maybe less.
For this baked coconut curry cod, I used green curry paste – which is the spiciest of the three, I believe. But, you could really use any kind of curry paste – green, yellow, red. You can even adjust the amount of curry paste to match your preference. I like the 2 teaspoons in this recipe because it provides just enough flavor and heat without overpowering the flavor of the coconut milk. Figure out what you like and go for it. Just don’t forget the cilantro.
5 Ingredient Baked Coconut Curry Cod
- 4 individual cod fillets
- Salt & pepper
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry paste
- Chopped fresh cilantro (amount to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C). Season cod fillets with salt & pepper.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together coconut milk, ginger and curry paste until smooth. Pour a thin layer of sauce into a large baking dish. Place fish on top, and pour remaining sauce into the pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes (cod should be fully opaque and flakes easily with a fork).
- Top fish with cilantro and serve with a generous portion of sauce.