You only need four ingredients to make this beautiful strawberry tart, and it’s completely dairy free and diet-friendly. Makes 8 servings.
The easiest strawberry tart recipe
A few days ago, my mom decided that we needed to have a strawberry pie as a poolside treat. I’m definitely not complaining, and I was more than shocked to find out that the recipe only called for 4 ingredients, and it was a sugar-free, diabetic and weight-watcher friendly recipe. Since it was dairy free, I knew I needed to share it with you, especially since it was so easy to make.
This recipe calls for sugar free jello and pudding mix (dairy free, I promise!). That’s what makes it diabetic and weight-watcher friendly, but you can easily make the recipe with the regular equivalents if you aren’t into sugar-free products. I don’t even want to get into a debate about the ingredients of the sugar-free mixes. Do what works for you and your family, I promise the recipe will work either way.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this strawberry tart recipe:
How to make a strawberry tart
The first thing you’ll want to do when making your strawberry tart is to prepare your crust. I almost always use store bought because dairy free cooking is hard enough, and I don’t need to make things any more complicated than they already are. I have found over the years that the generic or store brand crusts seem to be flakier.
Since I made my strawberry tart in an 11 inch pie plate , by store bought dough wasn’t quite big enough for my pan. To fix this, I simply rolled two together until they were the right thickness by rubbing a little water onto the first and placing the second on top. I used my rolling pin and rolled it out until they were fully integrated. If you’re making your own pie crust, just make sure you have enough for a large tart pan .
Blind bake your crust.
To blind bake your crust, preheat your oven to 375˚F. Place your crust into the pan and place a piece of parchment on top. Gently fill it with dried beans, rice or pie weights to keep the crust from bubbling up in the center. Bake for 20 minutes. Then, remove the parchment and pie weights and return your crust to the oven for about 15 minutes. The crust should be nice and golden when you remove it (not brown like mine).
Prepare your jello mixture.
Take your jello and pudding mixes (make sure it’s the cook and serve kind, not instant), and put them in your saucepan. Add two cups of cold water and whisk until smooth. Bring the mixture to a boil and let cook until you see it begin to thicken slightly. Remove it from the heat and let it cool to room temperature until you’re ready to top your tart.
Slice and arrange your strawberries.
Once your crust has cooled, slice your strawberries and arrange them in a pretty design inside your crust. It doesn’t have to be perfect, but a little arranging can make a huge difference when it comes to getting a really beautiful tart. When you’re ready, pour the cooled jello mixture over the strawberries until all of the empty space between the slices are filled in and a good portion of the slices are covered. Place your tart in the fridge and let it cool for a few hours before slicing.
Tips for serving your strawberry tart
- Serve your tart within a day of making it (ideally the same day) to keep the strawberries looking their best.
- Slice your tart with serrated knife to get a cleaner cut.
- Don’t forget the dairy free whipped cream. There are so many great options out there, you don’t have to make your own anymore.
- 2 store-bought pie crusts (or enough pie crust for 11” tart pan )
- 1 0.8 ounce sugar free vanilla pudding mix
- 1 0.3 ounce package sugar free strawberry jello
- 2 cups cold water
- 1.5 pounds strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Roll your pie crusts together to create one larger crust. Fill your tart pan and trim the edges.
- Blind bake your crust for 20 minutes with pie weights (or alternative). Remove weights and bake for about 15 minutes longer.
- While crust is baking, place jello and vanilla pudding mixes into a small saucepan . Whisk in until smooth and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Arrange strawberries in cooled tart shell